Here is a spicy rice/lentil dish, great if this is your first lentil
experience. (All you do with them is boil them with rice.) I couldn't
find many kedgeree recipes on the web, and most of them were fish-based.
This recipe will make enough for a week of lunches.
To save time if you make it regularly, mix up enough spices for 12
batches and use 2-3 tsp. each time.
- In a large pan, bring the water and salt to a boil.
- In the meantime, rinse and drain the lentils.
Throw out any stones or other impurities.
- Do the same for the rice.
- Toss the lentils and rice into the pan, mix well, and simmer for
20 minutes. Leave the heat a little higher than you would for rice alone.
It should be dry but not too dry.
If still wet, let sit for a few minutes with the cover off.
If too dry, add a little hot water.
- Heat the butter or margarine in a small skillet.
You can leave it on very low heat for 20 minutes while the rest cooks.
When the rice and lentils are done, stir the spices into the butter or
margarine and blend. Then stir this mixture into the rice and lentils
and mix well.